Monday, January 21, 2008

Slackware 12.0

I finally chucked Ubuntu and installed Slackware 12.0. I had tried this like around 6 months back and couldn't get my wireless working, but this time I was kind of determined ;) ! And actually it was much easier this time.

Last time I couldn't get my wireless working coz no ipw2200 driver nor the firmware for the card was available. But in the lates edition Pat had included the ipw2200 drivers, i just needed to install the firmware and then the wpa_supplicant package so that I can acess WPA encrypted networks.

It wasn't too difficult. Worked everything out and finally had to modify the rc.inet1.conf, rc.inet1, rc.wireless.conf and rc.wireless scripts. Reboot and everything worked with out hitch. Only problem is that if I don't have wireless config for the network I'm about to connect to during boot, boot up could take a long time. Will tinker with that later.

My main grouse right now is that I have connected the laptop to an LCD HD TV (a 20" ), but the card does not seem to recognize the LCD Monitor resolution even though the laptop lcd screen has been shutdown. Tried tweaking the xorg.conf so that only one screen and one resolution is detected, it still did not work. A possible issue could be that the Video BIOS is enforcin the native resolution it recognises. Have to check if there is someway to override that.

No comments: