Friday, May 25, 2007

Ubuntu 7.04

The first problem I had with this new version of Ubuntu was the ATI drivers (this happened with the Dapper Drake version of Ubuntu also). The installation was a breeze, but at the end of it, I just got a blank screen. The fglrx drivers had to be installed :<.

Now before I could install the fglrx drivers through apt-get, I had to set up the network. One good thing about the installation was that NetworkManager is the default and so WPA works out of the box. But, since I had no GUI and NM does not seem to work without a GUI, I had to configure the network through the command line.

First I decided to use any available network:
$/> sudo iwconfig eth0 essid any
Then I had to get a valid IP from the Access Point
$/> sudo dhclient eth0
This configured the wireless card and I was online. Now onto install the fglrx drivers from the Ubuntu Repositories
$/> sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
Next update module dependencies
$/> sudo depmode -a
Next configure the card through the ATI provided app

$/> sudo aticonfig --initial
Next the Ubuntu Wiki recommends to setup overlay
$/> sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv

The Wiki also makes a note that since ATI does not provide correct drivers Composite Extension will not work, so disable composite extension in the xorg.conf file (Check the Wiki).

No comments: